SoDope Mafia 13 - AGORAPHOBIA

This was still a solid game with lots of great moments. Hope you all enjoyed it!

1 Like

So if dusk dies, we are all in 1 house them.

So it was really just a solve if we did house plannings after M2H died… No need for roleblock

Like lots of PoE groups

I’ll proudly take my town mvp medal

1 Like

Hey, first off let’s remember the rules for postgame US Politics Mafia [Over]

Second, maybe the mod telling a player to shut the fuck up isn’t conducive to a non-toxic postgame.

1 Like

Ok, if I’m trying to be a bit more constructive about which elements could have been different… The big thing is, limiting how much influence town has over the night kill… The verifiable information is annoying, but is just a something that occurs in role-heavy games, so that’s expected.

Town had several abilities that could limit / prevent kills from/to multiple players on any given night. This is a two-fold problem:

1. Mafia have to sack a player if town plays properly and solves the game
  2. Strong players and confirmed town aren’t necessarily available for night kill. This is annoying at any stage of the game, like if Mafia didn’t have the ability to NK chesskid for a few days, it significantly increases the expected win rate for town. (Or if Elli was town and couldn’t be killed for a few nights).

So, it’s not exclusively about town solving, yes that is one problem with a partition blocker that could end up being basically global… But the other problem is, even if town doesn’t solve, the partition and the partition role block severely hampers the one ability that mafia have which is KP.

Actually, N1 is a good example of where the partition/partition block can “accidentally” cause major problems for mafia. Because everyone was immune in the game except for Urist, but mafia doesn’t have that information, so it’s really hard to play from that standpoint. If we know we exactly can only kill Urist, then it’s still a problem, but due to the circumstance, we would have a game… But we didn’t know that, 1/4 of the game got role blocked and the other 85+% of players were in houses that didn’t have scum in it.

Gg town
Thanks for the game mod

1 Like

Also, aside from mechanics, I think that the game is balanced at R where R is the number of residents (or players), but once you introduce power to town, (GTacc and Jake knew each other’s alignment), Chesskid was a PR which I forget, there was a tracker, a night partition generator and a partition role blocker.

When town has that much power / confirmed information mafia either need more power or more players.

So basically what DS told me was the winning or losing of any one faction was based on whether they could kill off the other faction’s OP player.

I understand the goal, but I think the N1 situation speaks to why it doesn’t work in practice.

Yawn

Weren’t you just claiming me in the MU discord? Lol

What is MU?

The sound that cows make

Town will most times be hesitant to out information which is both good and bad for everybody

If you got lucky on a n1 kill and hit dusk it would also have been entirely different.

You factor in things like this when making a game. There are many ways this game could have swung. That’s why it is a closed setup

Town MVP = Urist
Scum MVP = StarV

1 Like

Actually, it’s a classic scenario creation dilemma when two factions operate differently. It’s really hard to balance weird and extreme things. Generally, things that work are either:

1. Deliberately a parody
  2. Standard with slightly different flavor
  3. Slightly off-standard

The reason for this is that the factions have different strengths, if you give mafia too many things that fuck with the lynch, it’s really hard to play. If you give town too many things that fuck with the mafia KP, it’s really hard to play. Yes, lynching and night killing aren’t the only things that happen in a game, but they are the two primary abilities / distinguishing features.

It’s a similar dilemma to making maps in an RTS like Starcraft, if the paths are too narrow and too few, the faction with stronger/defensive units wins, if the paths are too wide and too many, the fast/aggressive faction wins. Usually weird and extreme features lead to exploits that make games less interesting. There are exceptions where one faction does everything wrong and you end up with a good game on an imbalanced scenario, but… It’s more the exception than the norm.

Was my role even relevant