Transitioning away from using lynch - alternatives and implementation

I will use “take x’s jacket off”

Agreed

It’s a book about censorship being taken too far believing that preventing people from consuming and creating written word is better for society

We are replacing it because of racism history stuff :thinking:

Yes censoring it because you think that the problem the word creates is more important than the use of the word

Which obviously to the above there’s no real right answer, it’s subjective whether censorship is good or not, but it is censorship and it does feel like pandering to me because I’ve never seen anyone have a problem with this, it’s fixing something that isn’t broken for no reason.

Yes we’ve heard back from several people who have it as one of the primary reasons they’re not comfortable playing forum mafia - they come from playing other places (usually irl) where it’s not a thing. It’s usually not a thing for people who already play mafia but that’s not who this change is for.

That doesn’t have to be the flavor of the game that was a particular designer’s choice that stuck on.

Saying we’re not banning it was poor word choice. Was trying to convey that we’re treating it different from certain other slurs which are explicitly banned.

mafia451.com

1 Like

I can see the argument for having a popup saying it’s banned is better than a force replace. Main downside is that it might lead to everyone using their own alternative. @Nanook, @chesskid3, @Key, thoughts?

1 Like

Your personal preference doesn’t outweigh generations of oppression sorry white people this one isn’t about you

3 Likes

Pop-ups are also the worst so

1 Like

Hey everyone, don’t ban Elli from joining your games, just force-replace them!

The white we are talking about is European white.

This is ridiculously racist and uninformed btw

1 Like

That designer was probably not even American.

chess dusk isn’t american and please don’t make this personal in general. We’ve heard from enough people who don’t play mafia to think that this is a good change and we’re going forward is it. The best way to implement I’m open to discuss.

You can see what I mean by warning popup if you try to make a post with some other words that would obviously already be banned.

Yeah he was russian.

I think whining about censorship over a word that has extremely negative connotations for certain select groups of people is the uninformed opinion here :man_shrugging:

1 Like

People who don’t do the thing, but are advocating for change within that thing :thinking:

I would try x if it weren’t for y.

But im also very tired of what’s going on in the world & people enabling it passively so