Signs Mafia

Yo, so what’s going on, Gaang?

Well, one of the posts right above you is me asking you a question, pretty sure someone asked you one earlier too.

1 Like

At this point I’m leaning towards massclaim. It’s worth drawing a distinction between the duration of a day and its pace. The former I can adjust to. <15 posts of real content/opinions nearing the conclusion of the day on the other hand is not a pace that bodes well for getting good reads or meaningful lynches.

If it gets people talking and speculating, I’m game for it. It looks like people are familiar with each other enough to think they can make real judgments on the choices. Day 2 might be better suited for it at this point just so no one has an excuse to miss it.

I don’t like the mechanics of it but I’ll do whatever we have to to jumpstart activity and get more than token posts.

Votecount as of post #143

Drifter (2): Prism, Seththeking
Andresvmb (1): Srceenplay
Prism (1): chesskid3
JakeTheWolfie (1): sunbell
Dab (1): Ellibereth

Not Voting (7): Drifter, UFOFever, Key, DoggoPlays, Andresvmb, Dab, JakeTheWolfie

VOTE: Dab

Lurker + never played with before = tentative vote

Oh wow Doggo, that’s a great question!

Let’s take a look at the list of possible scum roles:

Twins - show up as town every other night. bypasses any waterbearer (doc) protection.
Lion - controls all team NKs, cannot be protected.
Scorpion - twice per game can stop a water-bearer, fish, goat, or ram the next night. If used on a bull, centaur, or scales user, the scorpion either loses their second shot or they outright die.
Centaur - target player and make their ability activate on random target.
Goat - target player, if that player was targetted, you get the targeting ability for one night.
Fish - prevents scum from being night killed if they had no votes or one vote on them.

Now, in relation to other roles and stuff…
-Scum Twins has utility against any towny water bearer and towny crab. There is no drawback.
-Lion seemingly has no utility at all. There is no positive (that I can see).
-Scum Scorpion has utility against towny water-bearer, goat, and ram, but only twice per game. Since twins bypasses water-bearer already, I think that the primary utility of the scorpion is to let scum kill a ram reliably. The goat utility is kinda eh, I think scum gets so much more utility in beating rams with this ability. HOWEVER, the possibility for scum to just lose their secnd shot or outright die in they hit a wrong sign is just a substantial risk.
-Scum Centaur can force the two shot doc to waste a shot and to have it be on a random target. Can also force the one shot scales to waste a shot and to have it be on a random target. Scum Centaur could use it to potentially kill a town Scorpion if the random shot hits someone on the no-hit list. Has minor implications with goat. Overall, the biggest scum utility is targeting water bearer and scales and wasting their shot(s).
-Scum Goat can be used in conjunction with other scummates to pass helpful abilities to the goat at the right time. However, due to the day long wait that the goat has, it is probably better for scum to have just given their player a duplicate ability to start with.
-Scum fish protects against town scales. Don’t think it’s useful for anything else?

Overall, I’d rank the effectiveness of the scum roles as follows:

1. Twins. Clear advantage against two roles with no downside.
  2. Fish. Clear advantage against a powerful town role with no downside.
  3. Scorpion. Clear advantage against two or three town roles, but substantial downside against a number of others.
  4. Centaur. Disrupts 3 town roles, but doesn’t outright stop anything bad from happening to scum and turns things into RNG.
  5. Goat. Maybe lets scum know of some town roles in play but idk, seems really situational.
  6. Lion. Why does this even exist.

Soooooo…
Overall I predict scum to be 3 twins and 1 fish, or just all 4 twins.

Which means any town water bearers are prolly super screwed this game.

Overall this game has some interesting roles, but so many other roles just negate the interesting ones, turning this into a sorta not-very-role-centric game? idk if I’ve played mafia enough to assess that properly though.

but uh I do think we need to at least consider the possibility of scum fish. We shouldn’t let ANYONE in this thread be the sole voter on ANY target.

If at end of day, you’re a sole voter, we can and should suspect you of parking a vote on a scummate to give them a fish boost.

This means people also need to be aware of votals, especially close to deadline, so that scum doesn’t get off a mini wagon at the last second to reduce a vote down to 1.

1 Like

because of the fish scum role, I also think it’s best for town to relatively spread their votes around, aiming to get 2 or 3 votes on a number of players each round. I really don’t see a need for us to ever stack more than 4 votes on a target, unless we think multiple scum are on a single wagon elsewhere.

idk maybe I’m wrong here, but I think if town can have a low-risk solution to axe fish from activating, that might be helpful.

Woah! Applauds to your analysis, that’s really thought out well.
Not sure how I feel about the idea of a 3 or 4 twin team. The crab role is already relatively weak as it is, so I’m not sure if it’d be beneficial to have that many twins (although ignoring water-bearer is still pretty good, even on its own.) I wouldn’t be surprised if scum team had a scorpion in them, since they could go after anybody that claims. Same concept for Centaur. Basically, I’d be prepared for the possibility of these roles too.
Lion confuses me - does that provide any sort of benefit? At all??
I agree on trying to avoid having a singular vote on anybody at the end of the day. Extending even further past that - when a fish has one vote on them, they can only protect somebody else (not themselves), right? So if somebody suddenly ends the day as a single voter, and we can reasonably suspect both of being scum, scales should be able to identify and shoot the fish without any repercussions. I don’t think that we should purposefully try and spread votes around, though, because that feels like it creates a situation that allows scum to mislynch easily unless we’re really good at coordination. That said, if you have any idea of how to coordinate really well, I’m down to hear it.
All that said and done, I’m not going to move my vote until near EoD, unless @JakeTheWolfie responds to the four-ish questions / accusations that have been thrown at him by now instead of just popping in to say hi.

I don’t think spreading votes around is a good idea either.
Spliting up votes almost gaurentees mislynches. I think we need a better town cohesiveness.

Doggo post looks good but it is just filler facts.
Its what good scum do to look busy. If anything it gives me an uneasy feeling about them.

I really don’t think you can say I did that post to look busy, especially when I asked everyone in the thread to do the fact finding work for me, and then I only begrudgingly did it myself after everyone ignored my question.

What are theae 4ish questions/accusations?

(“this post” referring to key’s quoted above)

I get that it’s still pretty early game and it’s probably not easy to defend yourself. But I don’t like the fact that you’ve been ignoring all these posts, and it’s at a point that I can’t excuse anymore.

It was an early pressure to see how they would respond. I think that their reaction was pretty townie to say the least.

Hedging

There isn’t much to stay here.

Again, Pressure testing.

If I step in something brown and nasty I am going to be disgusted and think it’s dog shit.
It doesn’t mean it is dog shit. It could be a delicious snickers bar but I’m still not going to like it and think it’s dog shit.

k, so you can’t refute my post as 100% not being a look-busy post because I originally asked people to do the work for me. and so you make a dogshit analogy.

have a nice day, you’re dying tonight scum.

Haaaaa I see what you did.

Doggo are you this agressive as town in your self meta opinion yes no

where have you been? you shouldn’t even have to ask.