Introducing VCbot - Crowdsourced Vote Counts

Having to provide regular votecounts is one of the most tedious parts of hosting.
We’re going to make that easier.

1. When moderating a game you can now choose to have VCs done by posting @VCbot in the first post of your sign up topic. @VoteCountBot will reply with a confirmation fairly quickly.

To qualify, your game must not have nonstandard voting (i.e. votecounts can be accurately counted and provided by a spectator).

2. Once the game starts players can post @VCbot in the topic to ask for a votecount or point out a potential error. Response time will usually be at most an hour. @VCbot will provide semi-regular votecounts on its own through the @VoteCountBot account. It can also lock the topic on majority.

3. IT’S IMPORTANT TO ALWAYS TAG @VCbot AND NOT @VoteCountBot

It is against the rules to interact with @VCbot in ways other than requesting vote counts or asking it to check for an error. Speculating on which particular person made a post is forbidden. All posts and potential responses from the account will be standardized.

How does this work?
There are multiple people manning the Votecountbot account. This list is not public.

What happens if someone is in a game and also part of VCbot?
We expect members of VCbot to not misuse the account for in-game purposes by deliberately posting slow or incorrect vote counts.

Can I become a member of VCbot?
We’re in a trial period but if you’re interested in helping out in the near future send @Ellibereth a message - we want to see if this is a good idea first.

What do hosts using VCbot have to do?
They only need to design the setup, send out role pms, deal with night actions, and deal with potential player inquiries.

Why should we only tag @VCbot and not @VoteCountBot?
VCbot is a group, VoteCountBot is an account. Tagging VCbot informs the members of the group that they need to go on VoteCountBot and provide a vote count.

1 Like

Looks good. I think I’ll try this out for the next game I host.

Are the on-demand VCs mostly automated, or am I forcing some poor soul to do something that I could just as easily do myself?

1 Like

They aren’t automated. Doing your own vote count is great, but it can be a daunting task on a phone, for instance.

Don’t worry about it - it’s better to have all the VC’s under one account umbrella for ISO purposes and having it on an “official” account adds some credibility for accuracy.

Also, even mods who like doing VC’s aren’t around 24/7.

And yes, this is a bandaid until automation comes out. :stuck_out_tongue:

Is the intent that mods who opt in to VCbot will not do vote counts on their own account?

It’s probably annoying to have to iso two people so either votecountbot or the mod would have to be the primary vc poster yeah.

Worst case we can change the ownership.

Question: Some VCs are kinda time sensitive, like those near EoD. Does VoteCountBot account for this?

Interesting that you went the human rout for VCs and not AI.

The human route is a stopgap until we have a real bot.

What do you mean by time sensitive? As a player, would you want more frequent/quick vote counts near EOD? I assume so, but maybe you’re thinking of some kind of special case?

Yeah, that’s basically it.

If there’s like 1 hour before EoD and votes are flying, having frequent vote counts are a plus.

Ah. The idea is that this is a backup in case the game mod isn’t around when someone wants a vote count and I think it’s on demand, only. Maybe it could be a little bit more of a vc push if the game mod isn’t around during the last couple of hours before deadline.

I hadn’t really thought about this because I always schedule deadlines for when I’ll be around to do vote counts and notice if the hammer ends the day a little early.

Does it scan us for the subtle differences between fferyllt and _fferyllt?

Yes! :wink: