Competitive Tournament Discussion

Dropping correctly measured “outliers” is a bad thing in general - https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/200534/is-it-ok-to-remove-outliers-from-data/200545#200545

Going 6-0 doesn’t mean you’re a better player than 0-6. It just means you won the tournament. Kasparov and Carlsen didn’t win every tournament they played but they’re still the “better player”.

You can easily argue that both no drop vs. dropped aren’t perfect measures of “betterness” but what’s harder to back up is that dropped is a better measure of betterness.

I’m happy to use Liars club’s algo instead of raw score to rank players but I’m pretty emphatically against dropping games. Definitely wouldn’t mind playing with a dataset after the fact to see how it changes rankings though.

And a nice thing about nightless is that if you’re not around to effect something it means you got lynched. :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree with liars club in that if there is any sort of round-based scoring people on the same team should get the same score on a given round when applicable.

I also wouldn’t mind it being straight up 8 people who play 6 games against each other.

Yeah I guess since its a tournament you are strictly scoring by wins and losses with the round scores as like potential tiebreakers then?

That’s the system we have in the op right now. :stuck_out_tongue:

Sorry I guess I had gotten the round score part of it confused

So let me drop this question in the thread then:

Why not just have a site wide leaderboard and have mods designate if they want their game to be considered for the leaderboard total or not? Make it a seasonal like “League” thing instead of an actual tournament

main reason was I thought tournament better for marketting

we’re 100% doing that for Espionage since it’s the same setup over and over but it’s harder for different setups.

Has to probably be opens where the probability tree is fairly clear so outcome and round scores are easy to get. (It only turned out to be plusminus 0.5 this time because the EV’s were 0.5).

My suggestion would be to have both- the ultimately competitive and very strictly regulated setups for the tournament and then an overall leaderboard for any games that mods want to submit for leaderboard recognition. Gives people a way to track their stats as well as being like a more friendly competive bragging rights sort of deal. Having a few unbalanced games won’t really matter because there will be more of them and over a longer period of time.

I’m worried this will be a turn off for a lot of people. I want to keep the casual atmosphere for most games here and have any leaderboard stuff be for a special subset. Probably just a straight up separate category.

I’ve done that before in the past, you do it like

+3 points for a town win
+5 points for a scum win
+1 point for loss

+1 point for MVP
+0.5 for Losing team MVP
-1 point for LVP

or something similar in scope - I’m bad at math things

Well I was thinking of it as like a casual thing not a competitive one

Getting off topic at this point, but you can put me in for the tournament LOL

Maybe? The last few times I pitched something like this (there’s a topic here somewhere) the casual-friendly crowd were super against any sort of tracking system.

i think the cleanest solution is just a ranked/unranked category and see how demand is for each. Bottleneck is always players not hosts.

You could always also just do one and not have it be like an official thing, and at that point it’s just given the value of people who value it And include all games in it Just like a stat tracker

Maybe like take the stigma of it being a competitive thing away from it

But this is a discussion far from the topic at hand so I don’t want to like side rail the discussion

I like anything that gives me a fake sense of accomplishment

1 Like

I would play any ranked setup here as much as my schedule allows for. Right now my work and school load is pretty light, but it probably won’t stay that way. As for specifics, keep ranked separate from casual, it’s a different target audience.

@DS this site already has a stat tracker.

Out of date and going to change how it works.