Beginner Friendly Game Environment

put a baby emoji in the title :baby_bottle: :baby:

i like that actually lmao

:smile_cat:

will people think thats condescending lmao

the non toxic games should also ban words like retard and cunt i think, because those offend a fair chunk of the mafia playerbase.

i think you need to ban offensive phrases as well like MUron

1 Like

In Filipino cuisine, moron, also spelled morón or muron is a rice cake similar to suman. It is a native delicacy in the Eastern Visayas region of the Philippines particularly at the city of Tacloban in the province of Leyte and at the province of Eastern Samar.

1 Like

but have you ever had balut tho

if someone called me balut in a mafia game i would be lowkey offended

cultures foods being used as offensive terms is a thing in chinese lul

I think it’s less particular words in that the atmosphere should generally be encouraging? Hearing that your ideas are bad/stupid in whatever word choice doesn’t lend itself well to most ppl trying again.

I think more offensive words used humorously would probably drive away way less people.

when games become not about the reads or the thought processes and personal is when a line needs to be drawn

so just encouraging the players to see the game and not the players is important i think

I think for a beginner game environment it’s important that past relationships hold no weight (negative or positive).

Positive:
Generally meta reads are bad in beginner games because it leads to beginners being in the PoE for reasons they don’t know or understand.

Negative:
Two players feuding is obviously terrible.

1 Like

Yeah this is something we’ll proactively watch out for in beginner games though we help people will be self policing.

This is a very good point.

I agree, on top of that I think it gives off quite a cliquey vibe for people and doesn’t make it easy for them to learn, since all they see is that you have to know someone really well to read them and that leaves them out in the cold until they’ve hung around a bit.

In general playing a game they feel they can get involved in and encouraging them to try things out.

In other toxicity news, I wish the Perspective API worked better for warning people when they’re getting closer to the line of being uncomfortable for new people, but having words like “lynch” and “kill” be neutral for mafia really throws it off. They’re working on being able to detect other things as well though, which could be useful.

1 Like

:thinking:

all of your are fricking poopheads

I guess I’m /in

I hate the solution to too much meta being unpleasant being some percentage of a game having to be new though.

Do you guys think asking people to err towards explaining things in topic via in thread stuff would be unreasonable? Obviously you can think it’s for meta but you can mention it as an afterthought and try to present it in a different way than we might in a normal game.

There’s a lot of people on this site who vote without giving reasons tbh, stuff like that doesn’t fly on a lot of other sites