Beginner Friendly Game Environment

so just encouraging the players to see the game and not the players is important i think

I think for a beginner game environment it’s important that past relationships hold no weight (negative or positive).

Positive:
Generally meta reads are bad in beginner games because it leads to beginners being in the PoE for reasons they don’t know or understand.

Negative:
Two players feuding is obviously terrible.

1 Like

Yeah this is something we’ll proactively watch out for in beginner games though we help people will be self policing.

This is a very good point.

I agree, on top of that I think it gives off quite a cliquey vibe for people and doesn’t make it easy for them to learn, since all they see is that you have to know someone really well to read them and that leaves them out in the cold until they’ve hung around a bit.

In general playing a game they feel they can get involved in and encouraging them to try things out.

In other toxicity news, I wish the Perspective API worked better for warning people when they’re getting closer to the line of being uncomfortable for new people, but having words like “lynch” and “kill” be neutral for mafia really throws it off. They’re working on being able to detect other things as well though, which could be useful.

1 Like

:thinking:

all of your are fricking poopheads

I guess I’m /in

I hate the solution to too much meta being unpleasant being some percentage of a game having to be new though.

Do you guys think asking people to err towards explaining things in topic via in thread stuff would be unreasonable? Obviously you can think it’s for meta but you can mention it as an afterthought and try to present it in a different way than we might in a normal game.

There’s a lot of people on this site who vote without giving reasons tbh, stuff like that doesn’t fly on a lot of other sites

In my experience it flies once you demonstrate that you’re not full of shit accuracy wise - but I agree that the “average” site playstyle is undesirable for someone totally new. It’s hard to learn at first why people would be intentionally secretive/obtuse about certain things.

It’s not even obtuse right like

At least half the semen analysis is really hard to explain sometimes

you gotta know the proper amount of tanginess

its an art

like fine wine

Chesskid is a SA sommelier

Going to create a beginner-friendly tag soon. Will make a topic about but basically:

1. A host can tag their sign up topic with it for any non-bastard game.

2. When players /in they’re implicitly agreeing to be nice, to be patient, to play in a relatively approachable way, and to avoid degenerate/toxic lines.

2 Likes

I think I’m gonna tag all of my not mechanically complex games beginner friendly

1 Like