Transitioning away from using lynch - alternatives and implementation

American Indian

This still gets me, whenever I hear Indian I always think of India first because for the rest of the world, Native Americans tend not to be top of mind over the 1 billion or so people in India

2 Likes

Indians only live in indian reservation in America.

That place literally called India? Just a buncha posers.

Wikipedia makes little mention of FM, what we play or what is being mainly discussed.

Yep, but people who like to play the party game or have heard of the party game are a much bigger audience, so we should definitely be paying attention to that.

Can you run me through why we absolutely cannot have an option to toggle whether you want to filter bad words again (in general, not just the one we’re discussing)

Would you mean a toggle for whether you can see them, or whether you can use them?

If someone preferred not to see swears used in a FM game, it would filter them out and censor them somehow.

Right now, it doesn’t seem like there’s any need to censor certain casual swear words, they’re not turning people off from the game, so they don’t really need to be discussed.

On the other hand, for slurs or other more charged words, Elli’s already made a post on this.

The key part being that hiding it doesn’t fix the problem, it still leaves people uncomfortable that it’s being used. We don’t want to just hide the n word from people who are bothered by it, we do not want it on the site at all.

Before I go to bed:

Personally, using traditional mafia lingo gives the game more authenticity to me, and overall makes the game more enjoyable. If you are willing to (unessecarily, might I add, thanks to the tech known as togglable filters) sarifice authenticity for the sake of newer players, some of whom might actually prefer authenticity over being Politically Correct, then you’re probably willing to give away too much.

But what do I know? I’m just a guy on the internet.

People will always find reasons to whine and moan. It’s the kindling of the internet.

Yes, so I’m finding :slight_smile: There will always be someone upset with any given choice, so we decide what’s important and make our choices on that.

This is a good point. Probably worth making some sort of education panel. Will definitely be clearly linked in the “I’ve played mafia before” new player funnel. :+1:

I agree that the flavour is important! When I played with my family and friends, we put the bad guys in jail, because that’s what you do with murderers.

I wouldn’t say authenticity. I don’t know where the lynching came from, whether it was the original Russian creator or somewhere along the way. The closest to what seems like original rules that I can find says the player is “sentenced to death”. I really like that someone was bold enough to change to using werewolves instead because it made more sense culturally as something that appeared normal during the day and evil during the night, and I don’t think that it’s a bad thing to modify the flavour of the game to make it more appealing to more people.

But yeah, before we even take the software step we can try out some new terminology and see how it feels. There are some interesting cases that arise when talking about a missed execution/incorrect vote out/etc. and in various end game scenarios.

Also we’re deciding who to get rid of by means of voting so lynch is arguably even a bad descriptor all connotations aside.

2 Likes

Another thought. I just looked at star’s hogwarts mafia thing, and saw that chess edited out a ‘lynch’ to TK. If we do make it a popup you might want to quote the area where the word was used since it’s probably hard to find in a long post.

as for authenticity, my friends and i play with the word “lunch”. at this point that’s what feels authentic to me lol it’s more about what you’re used to

2 Likes

Admins editing users posts is cringe btw

3 Likes

The flavor is that the town is riled up. Now is no time for sensible action. Your crime was being a member of the mafia. The sentence is a lynch, legal or otherwise.

Star used TK 9 out of 10 times, it’s the same as fixing a votecount or broken tag at that point. :man_shrugging: