Mitigating Super Low Activity/Flaking/Replacing

How do we want to present the replacement information? Should replace-ins also be factored into a replacement score?

If so, how? Two raw counts: One for replacing in and one for replacing out? Or something weighted, where some number of replace-ins offsets a replace-out?

How should replacing in and then replacing out of the same game affect a replacement score?

Definitely separate.
One offsetting the other makes no sense.

Donā€™t think the same game part changes anything.

I think part of the issue is also that deadlines donā€™t set good enough expectations for player activity because the default people go by is ā€œat least 1 post every prod periodā€ and part of why games can get potentially unfun for some people are when they are expecting different amounts of avg posts or time spent per day.

We could roughly define some some nonbinding terms such as:

ā€œleisurelyā€ (1 of 2 posts a day OR time t_1 spent per day)
ā€œactiveā€ (2<n<10 posts a day or time t_2 spent per day)
ā€œvery activeā€ (>10 posts a day or time time t_3 spent per day)

just so people can get a sense of what activity other people are going to put in. Obviously a game wonā€™t be 100% filled with people from the same activity bucket but itā€™s just another additional piece of information for people to see if they want to sign up for a game.

A lot of the solutions Iā€™m proposing are just based around encouraging players to spend a little bit more time and think before and when theyā€™re signing up for games. Itā€™s probably worth making the sign up phase last a little longer and a little more involved if it leads to less replacements and a generally better in-game experience.

LOL, weā€™re no better at it really, but there are lessons to be learned from my ā€˜homeā€™ site of http://mindromp.org/. Sometimes our sign-up threads go on and on, sometimes even after the game is over, and sometimes turn into something else entirely. Drives OCDs bonkers.
Where are we at on putting trackers on all the game devices, and little electric shock implants on members?

/jk

It has come to my attention that some players who donā€™t treat this site as their home site will check less frequently. This is unique to 451

This is true, fixable over time

This is not true.

1 Like

This should have occurred to me much sooner than it did. When I mod a game, Iā€™m going to request that players tell me the best way to get in touch with them for prods and other communications. I think taking the guesswork and delays out of the prod process could make a big difference in replacement needs.

1 Like

that should be obvious, yeah. tbh i would probably forget a bit if i didnā€™t leave a lot of tabs open by default. the ajax updates are useful and iā€™m used to checking for tab title changes with sites like SO anyway

1 Like

I am perfectly happy for PMā€™s to go to my email.
I know PMs are connected to my email on other sites.
Would NOT nesseccarily want a PM everytime I am quoted.
But using my email as a prod, to tell me that a game in signup that I sign up for is now starting, that I have received my role PM. All these kind of things I am happy for the Mods to be Emailing me.

Can it be connected as it seems to be on other boards? I mean I am sure it can, but this site seems to PM for everything, can it be tied to Just the PM function?

Preferences -> Emails -> Send me an email when someone messages me

Okay, so I can set it myself, thanksā€¦
But in reference to Fferyllt contacting low posters
Should the email setting be the default?

Or can you make a point of asking all of us to set it?

I think youā€™re in the minority for wanting email notifications hence the default.
We can add an informational topic on it.

Well, if someone signs up to a game, I think they should be prepared to be contacted if they donā€™t show up. It is a part of the scheduling question you want to ask people.

Are sure you have time for this game?
Can we contact you when the game is starting?
What is the best way to contact you?

That kinda thing. (looks for shrug icon)

Yeah weā€™re just going to make that a profile field that hosts can check.

Itā€™s right here. :shrug:

I said I was looking for it!
Not that I had found it.:colbert:

^ itā€™s approaching the event horizon!

1 Like

I wonder about this. Post activity can be dictated by playerbase, game state, role, and alignment. So far at least in the games Iā€™ve played, activity hasnā€™t been a problem.

The nice thing about playing games here has been that the amount of posting has been reasonable as oppose to mafiascum where the massive amounts of useless clutter from hyperposting made games unplayable.

Itā€™s been a HUGE problem, game-breaking problem, imo, in most games Iā€™ve played here so far, so I donā€™t know whatā€™s up with that. I hope it gets ā€˜fixedā€™ soon.

Iā€™m afraid I agree with pyx, player inactivity has spoilt the games to the point of game-breaking.
Along with subbing in and out, how can there be any sense of a team win or lose?